Hand massage is a great way to relieve tightness in the hands, thumbs, forearms, and wrists. It can also reduce pain in those areas as well as increase circulation to help your body heal faster. Here are some simple steps on how to massage hands with some benefits.
What is hand massage?
Hand massage is the process of massaging and kneading your hands. It’s great for relieving tension in just about all of the muscles in our hands. Also, hand massage can help to reduce anxiety headaches and improve blood circulation.
According to a 2018 study, Getting regular massages may also help lower your blood pressure. This study, however, did not focus specifically on hand massages.
Another study published in 2015, involved nurses working in intensive care units. It was found that a twice-weekly, general hand massage significantly reduced their stress levels.
However, it is most important that you should massage in a proper way with good massage oil or other materials to get the maximum benefits.
Benefits of hand massage
You already know that hand massage is helpful for improving blood circulation, which can reduce pain and help the hand heal faster after an injury.
Hand massage can also help to improve posture by loosening up tight muscles throughout the body. It can also relieve tension in hands, wrists, and forearms by loosening muscles in those areas.
Hand massage is a relaxing activity that can put you in a better mood by lowering stress levels. It also works to strengthen your hands and improve their general appearance.
- Hand massage can reduce pain in the hands, thumbs, forearms, and wrists.
- It enhances blood flow to heal injuries more quickly.
- You can experience a sense of relaxation from hand massage.
- Hand massage has been shown to be helpful for improving posture by reducing tension throughout the body.
- It can improve your mood by lowering stress levels.
- It can help strengthen your hands and give them a more youthful appearance
- The massage is easy to learn.
- Hand therapy helps prevent carpal tunnel syndrome and other wrist-related medical problems, such as arthritis.
- Can reduce pain and increase circulation.
- Important to do hand massage for a long enough period of time.
- It can greatly enhance your hand’s appearance and health.
- Helps relieve pain.
- Can also reduce stress and anxiety.
How to perform a self-massage on your hands and what do you need?
You can apply self-massage on your hands-on daily basis to enjoy good health. To get the benefits of hand massage, you need a soft surface such as a carpet or towel to lie on and massage oil.
The great thing about hand massage is that it can be done any time, anywhere. Whether you are at home, work, or traveling, you can use your spare time to massage your hands. Now let’s know how to perform a hand self-massage?
- Prepare your hands for massage by cleaning them and then placing tissues between each finger to protect them from being pressed too hard.
- Apply good massage oil or lotion to your hands instead of regular soap, hand lotion, or other things that may dry out your hands.
- Using both hands, gently press your hands, starting with the index finger and thumb. Gently knead all five of your fingers: ring finger, middle finger, little finger, thumb, and then repeat for the other hand.
- Using both hands again cup each side of one hand firmly between both palms (thumbs touching) as if you were giving yourself a handshake. Pressing firmly, move your hands along each side of the fingers and then up toward your wrist.
- Repeat steps 2-4 at least once more each day to get the maximum benefits from self-hand massage.
Tips for getting the best results from hand massage
There are several different tips you can use when massaging your hands at home. However, there is one basic technique that will work in most cases.
To get the best results from hand massage, you need to use your thumb and index finger. Try to press these fingers gently into the muscles on the sides of your hands.
Try to avoid applying a lot of pressure when massaging your hands. You should also be careful not to apply pressure anywhere on your hands that is close to a nerve or blood vessel.
To get maximum results from massage, you need to do it regularly. It’s best to do massage at least once per day, but you can up the results by doing it twice per day.
It is also important to do massage for a long enough period of time. Under the best conditions, you should spend at least 20 to 30 minutes each time.
Massaging your hands on a regular basis can greatly enhance their appearance and health, allowing you to live longer with stronger hands.
If you have any health problems that cause pain or discomfort in your hands, try hand massage to ease the pain. You can also look into similar massage types.
Besides, you should take professional hand massages by doctors who have experience with a hand massage or massage therapy. They can help you in a great way to relieve your pain and discomfort and help to improve the health of your hands.
Why do hand massages feel so good?
Hand massage feels so good because it increases local blood flow, which can release endorphins in the brain.
The relaxing feeling you get from a hand massage may also come from the increase in oxygen and decrease in stress hormones to the brain. So, hand massage is an important type of therapy for people with Parkinson’s disease or others who suffer from chronic pain or injury.
How long is a hand massage?
The time span of a hand massage varies, depending on the length and intensity of the treatment. Individuals may choose to have a 30-minute session or do short 10- or 5- minute stretches in between activities throughout the day.
But you need to remember that long sessions may not be the way to go every day if you have arthritis or other hand problems. If your hands get tired during a massage, stop for a while and then resume another time, possibly switching hands with each successive stretch.
If you are unsure how much pressure is appropriate when massaging your hands, apply lighter pressure at first and gradually increase until it becomes uncomfortable then lower it again slightly before applying more pressure.
How do you massage hand cramps?
To massage hand cramps, you need to gently stretch and bend your fingers until the cramp disappears.
Additionally, some people find relief by applying pressure to the outside of their hands. You can also use a tensiometer that is a type of strap that helps apply gentle traction to stretch out muscle fibers and relieve painful spasms. Seek medical advice if none of these ideas work.
Is a hand massager good for proper hand massage?
A hand massager may provide some of the benefits of a good hand massage, but it’s not as effective as a therapist using his or her hands.
A massager may seem appealing because it’s relatively inexpensive, easy to use, and available at your convenience. However, for optimal results, you really need to be consistently persistent with either type of usage in order to gain maximum benefits.
The Bottom Line
Hand massages are a great way to relieve tension in the hands, thumbs, forearms, and wrists. It can also reduce pain in those areas as well as increase circulation which helps your body heal faster with less effort on your part.
With these benefits of hand massage, you should try them out for yourself by following these simple steps of how to do it and some tips that will help maximize results from doing so regularly.